Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Creating my own Game in Unity3D

Hey Guys,

Welcome to my new blog, where I will be occasionally posting some thoughts and ideas, as well as several examples of Codes I came across. The idea here is to keep a log of my progress of creating my own game in Unity3D, and maybe help others like me on the same path.

I started coding literally 4 years ago at my previous job. I was working as a check-in agent at the airport when I got promoted into a personal assistant of our director. One day he asked me if I could help him build our own department's website. I knew some HTML and I thought I should give it a try. I downloaded a book on ASP.NET and started reading... I was fascinated with what I could learn in such small period of time, and how I could apply it to my work.

I was also playing a lot of games at the time, one of my personal favorites OpenTTD, and Open Sourced version of the early Transport Tycoon, first created on DOS. I saw there were a bunch of developers contributing to the creation of the game. I decided to help along, only to discover that it was a lot harder than I anticipated. I had to learn a bit more. So I gave up the dream for now, leaving me some time to learn more.

About a year ago, I came across Unity. So simple to use, and so user friendly. So I started experimenting with it, got a couple of tutorials and learned all the basics... then, I dug deeper into the code, which revealed a whole new world for me. There are so many possibilities and so much freedom to create your wildest desires.

In this blog I will try to describe some common techniques I have found very useful, so that the average/beginner programmer can benefit from. It will also highlight the road I'm taking in creating my own game in Unity. Hopefully, I can get your own recommendations as well.

Stay tuned! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment